Saturday, December 10, 2005

Why do I like Ford’s so much?


I don’t exactly know. When I was a kid, my Dad mostly only had Ford’s. I remember the 77 Pinto and the 78 Ford E150 that he had, I guess it started there. As I grew up, I just found Ford’s, especially the Mustang, trucks & vans to be the coolest. I also like the company. I know they’ve had their troubles, but they are one of the few family operated big corporations out there. They are an American company too, and that’s important to me. Ford’s engineers are currently working on environmentally friendly engines (Hybrids, clean diesel, Hydrogen fuel cell, H2ICE, etc.) even though they have no current tax incentive to do so. Ford’s newer engines burn cleaner than anybody else engines. In fact, the 2006 Explorer with the 4.0 V6 puts out fewer emissions than a Hybrid Accord. And their new Duratec 35 V6, that will be out next year, will be even cleaner than that. I like cars, but I love Ford’s the most. I’ll tell you a little about my first few cars, and then maybe you’ll understand.


My first car (in 1991) wasn’t even a car, it was a 1978 Ford E250 van. It was all black with black tinted windows and a big block, gas sucking, 460 V8. It was probably the most awesome vehicle I’ve ever owned. The interior was different shades of orange & brown and it even had an 8 track player for a little while. I had that van for only a few months before I smashed it up, then I even drove it a few more months until the tranny went out. Even though my time was short with my old van, I still think about it the most.


My second car (in 1992) was a 1983 Ford Mustang GLX Convertible. It was bright red with a black top and red vinyl interior. It was pretty slow since it only had the 3.8 L V6 with an automatic, but quick enough to get me in trouble. I wanted a 5.0 Mustang, but my Dad wouldn’t let me. I received 13 tickets in it the first year I had it, but none of them went on my record! Five of them were no insurance tickets because the insurance card kept flying out when I had the top down. I went through a lot with this car (several dates with my now wife Sunny, lots of camping trips, lots of “cruising”, etc.). Even though I only had it for two years, I wrecked it three times, rebuilt it myself once, it was stolen once, and the tranny went out on it once, too. I sold this car in 1994 to guy in the paper that purchased wrecked cars. Even though it was all messed up, I hated to see it go. This car was so significant to me that I will dedicate a future entry to just this car.


My next car (in 1994) was a 1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback. It had a real bad gray MAACO paint job and the body was pretty rough, but I finally had my 5.0 V8! This car was pretty quick. I took this car on few road trips to Minnesota, Austin, TX and I even drove this car to North Dakota in the winter one time. The trip wasn’t very fun because of the circumstances, but it sure was fun diving on that snow. I spent a lot of money over the years on this car to make it faster and more consistent. I used to drag race this car on a regular basis and even took first place at an Import/Domestic Drag Wars in 1998. Due to bad tranny that I never replaced, the quickest I went in it was 13.7 in the 1/4 mile. I sold this car with some regret in 2001. I still see it cruising around every once in while.



I also had a 1994 Ford Aerostar that I purchased in early 1997, but I only had it a few weeks before I traded it in on a first brand new vehicle, a 1996 Ford F150 SuperCab XLT Regency conversion. I purchased this truck from Hilcher Ford (now Texan Ford) in Arlington, TX. It had a custom red to black fade paint job, aluminum billet grill, spray-in bedliner, custom leather seats, with wood accents in the interior. It also had a 5.8 V8, which for me, was the deal clincher. It was beautiful. I used this truck to pull my Mustang to the drag strip on a regular basis and took a few trips in it too. I put about 40,000 miles on this truck before I sold it and my wife’s 98 Expedition to Carmax in June 2000 to purchase my current truck, a 2001 F150 SuperCrew Lariat 4x4.


My love for Ford’s has lead me to purchase many other Ford’s and I've influenced a few people's purchases over the years. In fact, when friends & family purchase a non-Ford, they either ask for my permission or apologize to me. It's pretty funny. I like it when people buy Ford's, but it's their money, they can buy what they want.


I still have the 2001 F150. I also have a 2001 Mustang GT Convertible (I bought new in October 2001), a 2001 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (I recently purchased used for my wife) and my latest car, a 1990 Ford Festiva L-Plus that I purchased in August, 2005 off of eBay. I also own a 2005 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500DS motorhome that has a, you guessed it, Ford engine. What can I say, I guess I just bleed Ford blue. What kind of cars do you like, and why?

3 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

What can I say, I am an Anderson and I love Fords too. I know that I have own non-Fords in the past, but I am glad to be back.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Krit said...

NLP- one of the best postings EVER, I especially love the pictures and memories you invoked. That Van was awesome, I think of it fondly also. I still can't believe Mom and Dad trusted you so much more than me to drive around their cars when you got so many tickets and wrecked as many vehicles as you did. WHATEVER.

I love Ford too- I wish they had an Aveo competitor because it killed me to buy a Chevy (thanks again for your permission BTW). I'm not as driven by the make as you are but I do feel good about driving Fords (hence our Ford Excursion). I still love my SportTrac and will always feel good about that vehicle (mostly because it was sooo cheap to drive when you consider how functional and nice it was). I still smile at the trade-in I got on it and the great price I/we talked them down to when I bought it. Good times.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Big Ford Fan said...

First I have to say I liked the post, and actually have to admit it inspired me to post a similar one on my blog. Second, I want to ask if you are old enough to remember Csaba Csere's review of the Festiva from 1987?

I obviously am a Ford fanatic too. And you don't know how much I wanted to steal that photo of the bandage with the blue stain ;)

Keep up the good blog, looking forward to more.

Joe

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home